Sunday 12 August 2012

Splash Park


Today, I spent the afternoon at a splash park with some of my very favourite people.

Similar-looking splash park in Michigan. Sadly, I did not have my camera today.

Among our posse was my friend's 16 month old daughter; I'll call her Holly. Once we got her swimsuit on, Holly grabbed my hand and led me to one of the water jets at the park. Water bubbled up from the round grate. For Holly, this was pure magic. While still holding onto me with one hand, she gingerly reached out with the other to test the water. Feeling a little braver, she let go of my hand and ran her fingers through the water jet. She frequently turned to look back at me, smiling broadly, as if to say, it just doesn't it get any cooler than this. After a few minutes, the jet stopped. Holly yelped a little, and started stomping on the area where it had been. She leaned over the round grate to investigate. The jet started up again and just about knocked her over. Holly reached for my hand, and the 'learn to trust the water jet' routine started over again. We must have spent an hour like this.

Someone else's kid - from an article on splash parks and germs.

It was a terrific afternoon.
Holly reminded me that I am surrounded by beautiful and wonderful things; I just need to look at the world through the eyes of a child.

From Curiosities by Dickens

No comments:

Post a Comment