Wednesday 5 September 2012

Bloom

A few days after moving into my new apartment, I received a notice that a parcel from Amazon had arrived for me and was being held at the Post Office. Packages from Amazon are like Christmas for me. The odd thing was, though, that I hadn't ordered anything from Amazon in a while.

I brought the slip to the post office. Sure enough there was a parcel with my name on it. I excitedly tore open the parcel right away. Inside was a copy of Kelle Hampton's book Bloom: Finding Beauty in the Unexpected.
There was also a note:

I hope that in all the excitement of moving, you haven't had a chance to go out and buy your own copy yet. Consider this a bit of a housewarming and heart warming gift.

Thinking of you.

It was from a childhood friend. We email a few times/year and try to visit at least once/year. She had phoned me a few weeks prior to my big move to my current city, and had been stunned to find out that I was in the early stages of divorce proceedings. Bloom was just the medicine I needed at that time in my life. I was so incredibly touched by her thoughtfulness.


Though the book focuses on the Hampton family's journey after discovering daughter Nella has Down Syndrome, there are life lessons for anyone who is living an unexpected transition and wants a little inspiration to keep their head up in the midst of the storm. Bloom is now one of my all-time favourite books. I am already looking forward to reading it again.

I mention this story now because I am reflecting on the importance of reaching out to the people around me, especially those who might be feeling a little more fragile these days. I know that I can tell you exactly who reached out to me in the first few months after my separation, and how incredibly indebted to them I will feel forever. I was so beyond blessed to have the family and friend support that I did (and still do!). Often, I wonder how I managed to be so lucky to have so many wonderful people in my life!

Anyhow, all of this to say that when someone is going through a life-defining moment (good or bad), it's a time when just 'being there' for them is so important. A little kindness in moments like these goes a very long way. And so, I am going to keep my eyes and ears open this month for opportunities to pay forward the huge cosmic debt of love I owe to the world.

1 comment:

  1. “Count your age by friends, not years. Count your life by smiles, not tears.”
    ― John Lennon

    ReplyDelete