Monday 17 September 2012

Meditation Update: Midway Through the Month

September was supposed to be my month of meditation. Now that we are at the midway point, I can tell you that I failed. I tried setting an alarm. I started reading Jon Kabat-Zinn's Full Catastrophe Living. I left my yoga mat out in the livingroom to encourage a moment of deep contemplation.

Full Catastrophe Living: Using the Wisdom of Your Body and Mind to Face Stress, Pain, and Illness
From Amazon.ca

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Solution: I bought a 3-month yoga pass a few days ago.

The plan is to stop at the studio for a class on the way home from work. Apparently, I am not of the DIY variety when it comes to meditation. However, after stretching for an hour, I manage to relax and meditate at the studio. Having someone use their yogic voice to remind me "Now, relax the big toe....the ankle...the leg..." doesn't hurt, either. Bonus, I've noticed an improvement in the quality of my sleep. And - at the risk of sounding like a total hippie - I actually feel much more peaceful. Apparently, changes in the brain can be seen on imaging only one week after starting a meditation process. It'll be interesting to see what the effects of this 3-mt stint of yoga/meditation will do.

Yoga Poses (stylized) by Gerald_G - For a request.
Image from the Open Clip Art Library

No comments:

Post a Comment